In an industry where everyone is looking at what others have and trying to “discover” the secrets to other people’s success, it is very important not to get lost in the envious glare of what others have that you do not, but to find the path to creating your own success.
This post today was created to help you determine what it is that YOU need to do to create your own success and how to move forward to achieving the success you desire in your business and in your life. No matter how many connections you have, no matter how many times you are in the right place at the right time, no matter how many audios, seminars and ebooks you read, if you do not “make it happen” on your own, all of that doesn’t matter and you’ll be no more than walking potential. If you’ve ever felt like:
- You didn’t have the confidence to WIN in this industry
- You were almost there but just couldn’t get over the hump
- You were lost and didn’t quite know where you really wanted to go…
The 6 action steps I will be outlining in today’s post can be used as a guide to help you move forward in confidence and focus in manifesting your goals and to start living out your passion. At the end of each section is an action step for you to complete. I recommend you have a pen and pad ready because it is time to learn how to create the type of success you have been wanting in your life.
Here are my 6 Action Steps To Creating Your Own Success
1. Define Your Clear and Concrete Goals
I have talked about this many times before on The Gold Medal Marketer Blog – Know your destination and getting there is easy. Most people set goals but do not set detailed goals. Why is it so important to set detailed goals? You want to do this for 2 reasons:
- Having a clear vision helps you to become more connected to your goals.
- Having a clear vision helps you create a smart game plan toward accomplishing your goals.
For example, one of your goals may be wanting a new home. But what does that new home mean to you? What features do you want your home to have? When do you want to have the keys to that new home? What type of impact would having a new home have on your family? Instead of saying I want a new home, describe the home in detail:
“By December of 2012, I want a 6000 sq foot home, in Palos Verdes, with dark hardwood floors and modern decor. A view of the city, a large backyard for the kids and dog to play around, a guest house, a pool and an area for entertaining family and friends. I want a large kitchen with an island, a closet room, a four car garage, a game room and a good school system nearby, etc..”
Now having a vision of this house really gets you excited right?! Well this is the type of S.M.A.R.T goal that you should be setting. How about the new summer body you desire to have? Lose 15 pounds, make better meal choices, workout 3-4 times a week, tone up the arms and legs, awake with energy and filled with life, a healthy positive attitude, glowing skin and hair. Now that is a clear goal.
Having defined goals helps you gain passion for your aim and it keeps you motivated when you can visually see the end result. You stay focused on why and where you are going.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you know where do you want to go?
- Do you know what your goals are?
- Do you know what you most want to accomplish in life?
- What do you want your professional life to look like at the end of this year, next year, three years, 10 years?
- How about yourpersonal life?
Clarify your goals, set your course and do whatever is in your power to accomplish them.
*Action: Download The Gold Medal Marketer S.M.A.R.T. Goals Worksheet by clicking on the image to the left or right clicking to “save” to your computer. This worksheet will help you to set some concrete goals so that you have them written out, in detail.
2. Define Your “Why”
Do you set goals and give up on them too quickly because you aren’t excited enough about reaching them? Do you often feel unconnected to your goals and lack the passion to follow through with them? You may feel you should be embracing so much more in your life, doing so much more but you aren’t sure what it is. Once you discover the true passion that lies within you, you can then determine a path to live out those passions by connecting those them to your action plans.
Your WHY is what drives and continually pushes you to move toward your goals. It’s the drive behind everything that you do. Your WHY inspires you to get a goal started and motivates you to keep going when obstacles come your way. It is the passion behind every action you take.
Here are a couple of ways to develop a strong WHY:
- Determine your true passion. Start thinking of all the things that make you truly happy in life. Ask yourself what you would love to do every day? Ask yourself what places you like to travel to and what type of people inspire you most. Ask yourself what makes you most excited to get up with a smile and show up each day.
- Make a list of your top passions and answer WHY having them in your life is important to you. Once you figure out your passions and why they are important to you, write a vow to yourself. This will serve as a promise to yourself of how you will work hard to achieve the goals that align with your WHY. Post it somewhere where you can view it often and use it as a daily reminder and inspiration.
When you have a strong enough WHY behind your goals, you can then set a path to reach them, and you will have a passion so strong that nothing can stand in your way of achieving everything you want.
*Action: Take your clearly defined and detailed goal you wrote earlier and write down your WHY for it.
3. Operate In Confidence
Have you ever set a goal that you felt by all means was impossible, out of reach but you went for it anyway, only to be disappointed when you failed to reach it? Have you ever set a goal that you believed in your heart was obtainable only to be stopped dead in your tracks by until an unforeseen obstacle? Have you ever set out to do something only to have people tear you down and tell you how foolish you are? Why is it that some people seem capable of accomplishing anything they put their minds to in life, while others struggle to move forward or seem to be at a stand still?
The common thread between every successful person is that they never for a second doubted whether they would achieve their goals or not. They believed in themselves no matter what their circumstance and what anyone else said did not matter. They developed that WINNING mindset, the type of mindset that fueled them with the self-esteem they needed to be successful in life and conquer anything that was thrown their way. If you want to make your goals and dreams come true this is what YOU must do as well.
So how can you build your life in confidence?
- Be positive, surround yourself with positive people, ideas, and thoughts. DO NOT operate in negativity. When you master this, you will see that no one can tell you you’re not capable of reaching your dreams anymore… including yourself.
- Develop the necessary skills to succeed. Whatever your goals are in life, you should be constantly working on acquiring the skills it takes to improve yourself in that area. When you believe fully in yourself and your abilities, you are already halfway to reaching the success you desire.
*Action: Find out where your confidence is and ask yourself the following questions:
- If I truly believe that I am capable of doing anything I set my my mind to am I currently living and acting with that confidence?
- If I had true confidence within, what goals would I be chasing after?
- To believe in myself, what fears do I need to release to allow myself to succeed?
4. Surround Yourself With A Strong Support System
Watch out for the people closest to you. This may sound harsh but these are usually the family members and friends who want to play “devil’s advocate”, thinking they are helping you, when in reality they are doing nothing but transferring their doubt, ignorance and negative energy on you. The people you choose to share your life goals with are always some of the most important people in your life but be cautious because what they say to you can propel or crush your success.
Make sure you are sharing your dreams with the right people. Make sure you are sharing your dreams with people who will support you and will assist you in a positive way. It’s important to have a supportive circle of people that you can tap in to when times get tough, when you feel like giving up, people who will encourage you and make sure you don’t sell yourself short by quitting.
There are a couple of ways to develop a strong support system:
- Find a mentor- I can not stress this enough. Having a mentor that can show you how to get the results you want, someone you can mirror, learn from and call on for honest advise is priceless. Success breeds Success and if you want to be successful, find someone who has what you want and do what they do! This way you can avoid mistakes and shorten your learning curve.
- Create or join a Master Mind Group- In a previous post Mastering The Master Mind For Ultimate Success I teach you how to create a mastermind of your own. Surround yourself with like-minded achievers and watch how your business and life takes off!
- Be cautious about the people you choose to share your dreams with. This includes family, friends, co-workers, etc.. If the people you are sharing your goals with do nothing put give you reasons why you can’t reach them, you may want to limit those associations. Make sure your support system does exactly that…SUPPORT you.
The stronger your support system, the more you can operate in a positive energy flow. Having the right mindset for success is probably more important than having all the right skills or knowing all the cutting edge strategies.
*Action: Finding Your Support System
- Write down 5 people in your life that you choose to be your support system.
- Write down 1 person who you’d like to mentor you and ASK THEM!!
- Create or join a Master Mind Group.
5. Find Your Focus
With all that is going on in our lives – kids, work, husbands, friends, etc. it is easy to get distracted. We tend to put more on our plates that we probably should and more than we can actually handle. This causes us to become overwhelmed and to easily lose focus on what our initial goal was. Successful people master the art of staying laser focused on their goals so that they can maximize their productivity and in turn maximize their profits.
How to maintain your focus?
1. Stay connected to your vision and your goals on a daily basis. Take actions that are moving you toward your goal each and every day. Whether it be a phone call, email, blog post, …etc…take action towards your goals on a daily basis.
2. Set weekly goals. At the beginning of each week, set goals that you want to accomplish and then make a game plan for each goal.
3. Keep your eye on the prize. Remind yourself daily of the end result. Use vision or dream boards, start a success journal, set milestones and attend master mind groups to stay focused on your target.
4. Learn to minimize or eliminate your distractions. While it may be virtually impossible to eliminate every single distraction in your life, shut out as many unnecessary distractions as possible. If you know you are easily distracted by the email, the phone or Facebook, etc…don’t be afraid to shut them down (I promise they’ll still be there after you’ve finished your task and the world will not come to an end).
Staying laser focused on your goal and on the end prize is an important component to succeeding in your business and in life. Temporary distractions can cause permanent failure. Stay focused on accomplishing what you truly want in life.
6. Reward Yourself For Your Success
Remember that all of this is supposed to be fun – living out your passion, taking steps towards living your ideal lifestyle, manifesting to success and abundance you always wanted for you family. Work hard, but don’t forget WHY you are doing what others won’t do today so that you can live how others can’t tomorrow. While it is important to set milestones along the way, it is even more important to reward yourself, pat yourself on the back, for reaching those milestones. Rewarding yourself for your “mini-successes” means just as much as reaching your ultimate goal!
Taking time out to go to the spa when you finish a major project or spending an afternoon at the movies to celebrate sponsoring your first representative into your business keeps you fired up and motivates you to keep going, giving you something to look forward to.
Here are a few ways to reward yourself:
- If your goal is to lose a few pounds and you hit your weekly weight loss goal you can give yourself a “cheat” day where you go to your favorite restaurant.
- If your goal is to create an information product. Complete the task and spend the day on the golf course.
Many people want to accomplish something great in life, they want to create success for themselves. They’ll go so far as to set goals, create plans to get there, but they fall short of setting the right goals and their plan isn’t smart enough to get them past the finish line. If you didn’t know this before you read this post, you do now: There is actually a right way and wrong way to set goals. To live a powerful life you must set powerful goals, SMART goals! Here’s to creating your own success.
Hope you got some great nuggets from this post today. Remember Download The Gold Medal Marketer S.M.A.R.T. Goals Worksheet, do the exercises and take action…and if it helps you please share it with others!